President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has transferred many departments, powers and responsibilities held by the Defence Ministry, to the newly established Ministry of Technology and Investment Promotion.
Accordingly purview of 15 government institutions were transferred to the Ministry created today.
- Department of Registration of Persons
- Department of Immigration and Emigration
- Telecommunication Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka and Allied Institutions
- Information and Communication Technology Agency and Allied Institutions
- Sri Lanka Computer Emergency Readiness Team
- Sri Lanka Telecom and its Subsidiaries and Allied Institutions
- Colombo Lotus Tower Management Company (Pvt.) Limited
- Techno Park Development Company (Pvt.) Limited
- Information Technology Parks (Jaffna & Mannar)
- Industrial Technology Institute
- Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Sri Lanka Standards Institute
- Sri Lanka Institute of Biotechnology (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Board of Investment of Sri Lanka
- Colombo Port City Economic Commission
It was notable that the Duties & Functions of a few main commissions and departments including the Department of Immigration and Emigration, Department of Registration of Persons, Board of Investment of Sri Lanka, and the Telecommunication Regulatory Commission were transferred to the new Ministry.
The Extraordinary Gazette Notification also created another Ministerial portfolio for Women, Child Affairs and Social Empowerment.
The responsibility of 15 government institutions including the Sri Lanka Women’s Bureau, Department of Probation and Childcare Services, National Child Protection Authority, National Secretariat for Early Childhood Development and Department of Samurdhi Development were transferred to the new Ministry.