The Joint Health Workers’ Union has decided to once against launch trade union action from Monday, since reportedly it did not receive a favourable response to their demands from the government.
The Union said several health unions from the start of last year staged a number of strikes demanding that the government address 11 issues faced by health workers.
Speaking to NewsRadio General Secretary of the Union Tempitiye Sugathananda Thera said since they have not received a favourable response, a decision has been taken to launch trade union action from Monday.
Sugathananda Thera added the Joint Health Workers’ Union has unanimously decided to stage a strike action from the 26th of July to the 30th of July due to their demands being ignored.
The Thera also revealed the Union has planned for a sick note campaign on the 3rd and 4th of August if authorities continue to disregard their concerns, of which the Health Ministry has been informed.
The General Secretary of the Union stressed they will continue their struggle to ensure a free and efficient health sector for the benefit of the public.